This has been a rather weird winter. Last year in March we had > 20 degree weather. This year has been medium cold, windy and wet, and frankly April’s long term forcast looks about the same. Leave aside the fact that I want to crawl under my car and do an hour of work, I haven’t even been able to drive it. Snow and salt aside, the tires and suspension setup make the car extremely twitchy when its under ~10 degrees and the tires haven’t warmed up. Rant over. Tomorrow is the day. It’s April, 9 degrees and sunny. It’s going to stretch its legs.
I had mounted my HD Hero camera using the 3M adhesive mount to the rear license plate cover. It’s a great wide and low perspective, and won’t leave weird residue on the body. However strong the adhesive is, it can be removed using a hair dryer. I’m not sure I want it flinging off on a Gardiner onramp on a hot summer day, even if its next year when the glues old. So before putting the camera into real use, I set out to make a more secure/permanent mount on the plate cover.
I started by drilling some holes through the camera mount and the plate. They were eyeballed and turned out to be exceedingly crooked. My original plan was to put screws through, but I realized that would be a pita, flushing the heads, finding tiny nuts, etc. So then I figured that cable ties would be perfect, but alas even they didn’t quite sit flush enough to lock the camera in to the mount.
Tom got in on my tinkering and suggested very stiff stainless steel wire. That looked like it would work fairly well but he had an even better idea. Rivets! Frankly I really always have loved rivets. Most commercially assembled things use them for better or worse (hard to user service), but they’re rarely used in tinkering projects. We put rivets through the bottom two holes (since the camera latch doesn’t require any contact there, and they’re not fully flush). Definitely not going anywhere now. We played with the latch action a bit and Tom ground the rivets down a bit which helped make the camera’s locking action a bit easier. All that was left was for me to put a bit of enamel paint over them, and cover the back of the other holes I’d drilled to prevent water from getting in. After a day of drying it was ready to go back on the car, permanent and looking really good!
In addition to that, I stuck a bit of foam insulating tape on the back of the camera’s housing. (You can see it in the first pic) That should prevent it rattling against the plate cover on bumpers or when the car is warming up roughly like in my first video with it back there.
Here’s to tomorrow, awesome weather, and motorsports.